Erie Insurance has a rich history dating back to 1925, when it was founded in Erie, Pennsylvania, by two men: H.O. Hirt and O.G. Crawford. Their goal was to provide affordable and reliable coverage to residents.
In the company’s early years, the focus was to provide auto insurance to drivers in Pennsylvania. Since the 1950s, the company has continued to grow to offer policies in more states and regions while expanding its product offerings.
Didn't You Try Our Quote Comparison Tool Yet? Save BIG by Doing it!
Today, you can find an excellent motorcycle policy with a fair rate when working with this provider.
Table of Content
- Pros and Cons of Choosing Erie Insurance
- Erie Motorcycle Insurance Pricing and Discounts
- Erie Insurance Review Ratings
- FAQ About Erie Insurance
- Should I Consider Erie Motorcycle Insurance?
Pros and Cons of Choosing Erie Insurance
If you live in Erie’s service area, it helps to have a better understanding of the advantages and disadvantages that come with their policies. Here’s a closer look at what to expect from my perspective and experiences with the insurer.
|Pros of Erie Insurance
|Cons of Erie Insurance
|Suppose you bundle multiple insurance policies with Erie, such as auto and home insurance. In that case, you can take advantage of discounts, saving you money in the long run.
|Compared to some other insurers, Erie may offer fewer discounts, which can impact your overall savings.
|The company is financially stable, often earning higher AM Best ratings than some of the nationwide motorcycle insurance companies offering services.
|While Erie provides competitive rates, it’s not always the cheapest motorcycle insurance option. Some customers may find lower costs elsewhere.
|You receive customized coverage options, allowing policies to be tailored to specific needs.
|Their online tools and resources are not as extensive as some larger insurance companies, which may be a drawback for tech-savvy riders.
|Erie receives high marks for their responsiveness and willingness to assist policyholders in customer service evaluations.
|Erie Insurance primarily operates in the northeastern and midwestern United States, so it may not be an option for those living outside these regions.
|Although the company is a regional provider, the rates are highly competitive for those with clean driving records on most motorcycle makes and models.
|Some add-on choices are available, but the options are limited for those with extensive customization or specialty riding needs.
Erie Motorcycle Insurance Pricing and Discounts
Although Erie Insurance doesn’t offer the same depth for policy discounts as other providers, you can access two options that give you some money back in your checking account.
- ABS: Motorcycles equipped with anti-lock brakes reduce your riding risks and improve the safety of those on the road with you. Bikes equipped with this technology receive a discounted rate.
- Safety Features: If your motorcycle comes with essential resources that protect you in an accident or fall, you could qualify for a cheaper rate.
Quotes for motorcycle insurance with Erie are highly variable because they are based on multiple factors. Your driving record, location, age, bike, and previous claims all affect the rate you receive.
I found the experience like working with Farm Bureau at a local level. Your agent works directly with you to find the best rates based on how and when you ride. This personalized experience costs a little more but gives you better overall coverage because everything gets addressed.
Erie covers virtually all street-legal motorcycle makes and models. You can add policies for trailers, campers, and RVs.
Erie Insurance Review Ratings
- Customer Service: 5/5. Erie is consistently rewarded as one of the top insurance companies in the United States for consumer satisfaction. They maintain strong connections to the communities they serve, getting involved in various charitable and neighborhood initiatives.
- Online Tools and Resources: 3/5. This insurer sells motorcycle insurance through independent agents. Only the auto policies have an online site where you can get an estimate. Once the coverage is active, you can access their proprietary app or enter your online account to make payments and manage your coverage choices.
- Claims Process: 4/5. According to a Bankrate survey, Erie rates third in the United States for claims satisfaction despite only having a presence in 12 states for motorcycle insurance.
- Coverage Options: 3/5. The overall coverage options are about average. You can get what you need in most circumstances for a competitive rate. If you need track-day coverage or do a lot of off-roading, you might not find what you need.
- Financial Stability: 4.5/5. The insurer has an A+ rating from AM Best.
- Additional Features: 4/5. You can add roadside assistance to your policy. When you purchase coverage, your gear and safety appear are covered up to $3,000 automatically. Custom touches can be addressed. Erie does require a 12-month policy.
- Underwriting Process: 3.5/5. Erie takes a professional approach to your insurance needs. It does take some time to get yourself covered with a motorcycle policy since you’ll be speaking with one of their 12,000 independent agents. It is a little confusing since your online quote for a bike goes through the auto insurance process.
- Pricing: 4/5. This insurer is comparable with other regional providers, such as AmFam. When I asked what to expect for my 2019 Harley Street Glide, I was given a quote of $1,249 for full coverage and $624 for liability only.
- Reputation: 4.5/5. Erie has a strong reputation in the regions it serves. As you go further West in the United States, fewer people have heard of this agency.
FAQ About Erie Insurance
Some questions can arise when choosing Erie for your motorcycle insurance needs. Here is what I’ve discovered from their underwriting process.
Does Erie Insurance Cover Motorcycles?
If you own a motorcycle and are looking for insurance, Erie provides motorcycle insurance policies to help protect you and your bike. You can find the standard liability, comprehensive, and collision policies available.
Which States Does Erie Offer Coverage in the USA?
Erie offers insurance in 12 states, including Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia.
What If I Don’t Live in Erie’s Coverage Area?
You need to live in Erie Insurance’s coverage area to be able to purchase insurance directly from them. The company primarily serves the northeastern and midwestern United States.
What Is It Like to Work with an Erie Agent?
The process is straightforward. Once you request a quote, you’ll work with a local agent to develop a coverage plan that suits your current and future needs. It is fast and convenient, although there is some back and forth with the necessary communication.
Should I Consider Erie Motorcycle Insurance?
Erie offers a range of coverages like bodily injury, property damage, and comprehensive coverage. The more diverse the options, the better you can tailor your policy.
This agency is well-regarded for its customer service and face-to-face interactions with local agents. If policies are available where you live and you like this level of attention, Erie is definitely worth considering.
There are insurers with easier underwriting processes and simplified workflows, but it comes down to your preferences. I enjoyed the overall experience, and I think you’ll feel the same.
Use This Tool for Free and Save on Quotes!