Liberty Mutual Group acquired Safeco Corporation in 2008. This purchase allowed the company to expand its presence and diversify its offerings.
Safeco continues to operate as a separate subsidiary and maintains operational independence. Despite their individual branding, the insurers often share resources and expertise in certain areas, such as technology, claims processing, and risk management.
Didn't You Try Our Quote Comparison Tool Yet? Save BIG by Doing it!
Both Liberty Mutual and Safeco offer a wide range of insurance products, including auto, home, motorcycle, and various other coverage lines. This combined strength gives you more choices, creates savings opportunities, and finds the best options for your needs.
Table of Content
- Pros and Cons of Choosing Liberty Mutual Insurance
- How to Get the Best Rate at Liberty Mutual?
- What Discounts Does Liberty Mutual Offer?
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Ratings at a Glance
- FAQ About Liberty Mutual Insurance
Pros and Cons of Choosing Liberty Mutual Insurance
Before picking Liberty Mutual as your primary provider for motorcycle insurance, it helps to review the entire experience of what to expect.
I’ve put together a handful of advantages and disadvantages to review based on my experiences and the feedback others have left.
|Liberty Mutual offers a range of coverage options, allowing you to customize your policy to suit your specific riding and driving needs.||While Liberty Mutual provides good coverage, some riders have found their premiums slightly higher than other insurance providers.|
|Many customers have reported positive experiences with Liberty Mutual’s customer service, including helpful representatives and efficient claims processing.||The motorcycle insurance may only be available in some areas, so checking if they operate where you live is essential.|
|Liberty Mutual provides various discounts, such as safe rider and multi-policy discounts, which can help you save on your premiums.||Depending on your location and the type of motorcycle you own, you may encounter limitations on coverage options.|
|This insurer offers user-friendly online tools and mobile apps that make managing your policy and file claims convenient.||Policy complexity can be an issue for some motorcyclists, especially for vintage or antique bikes. It helps to carefully read the terms and conditions to ensure you get your desired protection.|
|The company is financially stable, earning consistently high A.M. Best ratings in each market where it operates.||While many customers have positive experiences, there are also some negative reviews online, so it’s essential to research and read customer feedback before deciding.|
How to Get the Best Rate at Liberty Mutual?
Having a safe driving record is the best way to keep your costs low when working with Liberty Mutual. You can inquire about available discounts, including storing your bike in a secure location.
If you have other insurance policies, such as auto or home insurance, bundle them with your motorcycle coverage. This decision often unlocks substantial discounts.
You can also raise your deductible or ride a motorcycle with a lower overall value to limit your costs. Each situation is different, so speak with an agent or ask questions while requesting a quote to ensure your coverage meets your needs.
When I requested a quote for a 2019 Harley-Davidson Street Glide in California, I was given a quote of $517 for liability only. To add comprehensive and collision protection would cost me another $1,200.
What Discounts Does Liberty Mutual Offer?
You can qualify for several potential discounts when requesting a motorcycle insurance quote from Liberty Mutual. Here is a look at what was offered during my experience with the company.
- Bundle and Save: You can get between 5% to 15% off when bundling your new motorcycle insurance with you already have an auto, home, or renters’ policy.
- Motorcycle Safety Course Discount: You qualify for this opportunity if you’ve taken a qualifying course within the past 36 months.
- Safety Features: Liberty Mutual provides savings for several options on a bike, including electronic stability control, daytime running lights, rearview cameras, and ABS brakes.
Once you complete the quote process, your motorcycle insurance rates should be between $20 to $100 per month. Liberty Mutual covers cruiser, tour and tour-sport, sport, super-sport, off-road, and dirt bikes.
You can even find motorcycle insurance options that cover mopeds, scooters, and duals.
Liberty Mutual Insurance Ratings at a Glance
Here is a closer look at what to expect when working with Liberty Mutual in several important categories. Please note that each interaction has some subjectiveness, so these ratings and observations are from my perspective.
- Customer Service: 5/5. This company provides fast and thorough responses when something happens.
- Online Tools and Resources: 3.5/5. This insurer offers a place to manage your policy online. Their business insurance resource, called SafetyNet™, is excellent but unavailable for individual riders.
- Claims Process: 4.5/5. Liberty Mutual provides claims methods online, by email, or over the phone. You can choose the best option for you or the current situation.
- Coverage Options: 3.5/5. Although this insurer provides excellent choices, including better bike replacement, exclusions can apply in some states. The only way to find out is to contact an agent or begin the online quote process.
- Financial Stability: 4/5. This insurer has an A rating from A.M. Best. That means the company provides a “good” ability to pay claims. Still, some options have one or two higher grades with potentially competitive rates to consider.
- Additional Features: 5/5. With Liberty Mutual, you can add coverage for your accessories, permanently installed equipment and 24-hour roadside assistance. New bike replacement in case of a total loss is available within the first year without depreciation.
- Underwriting Process: 3.5/5. It takes some time to complete the underwriting process, but you can get same-day coverage.
- Pricing: 4/5. Several discounts are available to reduce costs, but not all riders will qualify. Some options include having a three-year license or endorsement, bundling policies, or completing an approved safety course.
- Reputation: 4.5/5. Liberty Mutual has an excellent reputation. Although the occasional hiccup occurs, this provider works hard to meet your needs.
FAQ About Liberty Mutual Insurance
If you’re interested in knowing more about what to expect when working with Liberty Mutual, here is a closer look at some common questions that come up when requesting a free quote.
Does Liberty Mutual Offer Motorcycle Insurance?
Yes, they provide coverage options for motorcycle owners, including liability, collision, comprehensive, and more. If you’re a riding enthusiast, you can explore Liberty Mutual’s insurance options tailored to your needs.
Are Liberty Mutual and Safeco the Same?
These two insurers are not the same, but they are related. Liberty Mutual owns Safeco but operates independently with distinct policies and brands.
Does Liberty Mutual Cover Racing Motorcycles?
Liberty Mutual typically does not cover racing motorcycles as part of their standard policies. These high-risk vehicles go into events that require more specialized insurance.
Does Liberty Mutual Offer Accident Forgiveness?
Yes, it is a standard feature, except in California.
Does Liberty Mutual Offer Insurance in Canada or Mexico?
Liberty Mutual primarily operates in the United States and may not offer insurance coverage directly in Canada or Mexico. You can work with MexPro, their partner, for custom options for those traveling to Mexico.
The Liberty Mutual Group offers personal and small commercial insurance in Canada, but this option doesn’t cover personalized motorcycle insurance.
For Americans driving their motorcycles to Canada or Mexico, your standard policy typically covers your activities. Some exceptions apply, so please read the terms and conditions carefully.
Use This Tool for Free and Save on Quotes!