When it comes to obtaining motorcycle insurance for a 21-year-old, the process is about the same as for other young people of that age. Young motorcycle drivers often do not have adequate coverage or pay more than they should because of being unaware of discounts or different types of insurance that provide good coverage for less.
So, what’s the real story?
Is Motorcycle Insurance Too Expensive for this Age?
There is no doubt that motorcycle insurance for 21-year-old is expensive with policies ranging up to $1000 per year or more depending on many factors.
However, the main reason why policies for 21-year-olds are far more costly than for 30-year-olds is based on statistics. 21-year-old motorcycle drivers are far more likely to get into an accident than their 30-year-old counterparts.
So, why do you need this?
Despite the expense, motorcycle insurance is still highly recommended because it provides sound financial coverage in case an accident should occur. The coverage is not only for you and your bike, but the other driver, passengers, and vehicle that should be involved.
Even a seemingly small accident can run hundreds of dollars and injuries can cost thousands to treat. Also, proper motorcycle insurance provides you with peace of mind knowing that the coverage is available when needed.
Shocking Stats on Motorcycle Fatalities.
Types of Motorcycle Insurance:
While the average cost of motorcycle insurance for 21-year-old is very expensive, that does depend in part on the kind of policy which is chosen. There are several different types of plans which are available at this age so they can choose the best one to fit their needs.
Comprehensive: This type of motorcycle insurance provides total coverage in terms of combining liability, collision, uninsured motorist and more. If a loan was used to purchase the vehicle, the lender would usually require that comprehensive insurance is purchased. While this type of insurance offers a complete coverage, it is also the most expensive.
Collision: This provides coverage for damage in case you collide with another motorcycle or vehicle. This type of coverage is cheaper than comprehensive, but it also covers fewer events that can cause damage to your bike or yourself in the case of an accident.
Liability: Along with uninsured motorist, liability is the minimum insurance required by most states. This covers the other drivers, passengers and the vehicle in case an accident occurs, and it is your fault. Liability is considerably less expensive than comprehensive coverage and is highly popular.
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist: If the other driver is at fault and either has no insurance or does not have sufficient coverage, then this type of insurance will provide what is needed in case they are at fault.
Theft: Because of their relatively small size and value, motorcycles are prime subjects of theft. This insurance will cover the loss of a motorcycle that has been stolen. Typical motorcycle insurance for 21-year-old often covers theft. Learn how theft insurance works and claiming process.
Med Pay: This is another popular form of insurance that covers your medical bills in case you were injured in the accident. This type of insurance is often combined with liability as part of a plan that is still less expensive than comprehensive.
How Much is Motorcycle Insurance for a 21 Year Old?
The average motorcycle insurance cost for 21-year-old is $900 to $1000 roughly.
It does depend on the type of policy which is chosen and other factors which affect the premium. You can only get an idea of the cost when you apply multiple free quotes from us and compare them. Click here to proceed.
While the primary cause of the expense is the inexperience of the driver, there are ways to lower the premium cost while still providing good coverage.
- Higher Deductible: This is the most common method of reducing monthly premiums. A higher deductible means more of an out of pocket expense in case the insurance is needed, but the monthly premiums are lower as a result.
- State Minimum: If you did not need a loan to purchase your motorcycle, then you might consider just getting the state minimum when it comes to your insurance policy. Liability plus uninsured motorist is considerably less expensive than comprehensive, although it does not provide the same amount of coverage.
- Safety Course: Many insurance companies will recognize a safety driving course that when completed will lower the premiums by a 10% or more. The course itself last a few hours, and it provides useful driving tips to keep you safe on the road.
- Bundling: If you have a home or other types of insurance with the same provider, bundling them together may save you a considerable amount of money. Bundling is a common practice among insurance companies, so check them out to see if they can provide this type of discount.
- Anti-Theft Devices: If you have theft insurance or coverage, adding anti-theft devices such as locks and chains, ignition kill switches and the like which are recognized in the policy may lower the average motorcycle insurance for 21-year-old considerably.
- Seasonal Insurance: If you only drive your motorcycle in the warm months of late spring, summer and early fall, you may apply for seasonal insurance which can save you a considerable amount of money. Seasonal insurance which covers six months out of the year may cost half the amount of standard insurance policies.
To search for the best motorcycle insurance for 21-year-old starts by going online and comparing the different plans that are available. You will want to start with the companies of which you are familiar and then move on to other insurance providers and compare prices.
This can be accomplished by getting free quotes from us so that you can make a direct comparison.
You will want to start with the type of insurance which you are most comfortable such as comprehensive or collision for example and then work your way through the various options that are available in case your initial choices are too expensive for your budget. For example, you might find that getting a higher deductible or perhaps choosing a lower coverage policy provides the most affordable motorcycle insurance for 21 years old.